Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

So the Idaho LeFevre's have been participating in a program called Bountiful Baskets for awhile now. Basically, you go in with a bunch of other people to buy produce direct from the farmers. The kicker is you never really know exactly what is going to be in your "basket", just that it is going to be a combination of fruits and veggies. We have all been a little jealous of the opportunity they have had to have access to farm fresh stuff, but no longer! We now have the same opportunity right here in Vegas! So I got online and ordered two baskets- one for us and one for Carole and the girls! We picked them up yesterday morning at 7:00 am at a park in the Northwest part of town. And it was just as awesome as we had expected-


We got lettuce, swiss chard, mushrooms, broccoli, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, pineapple, bananas, apples, blackberries, and some type of melon- all for $18! I have already used the mushrooms, potatoes, and carrots with a roast as well as the lettuce and tomatoes in a salad for Dinner this evening. Lincoln has been enjoying the bananas, and we tried the blackberries. I am excited to keep finding ways to use the items, but am going to have to look up something to do with swiss chard. I was really excited when I first saw it, as I thought it was rhubarb and had a brief thought of making a strawberry rhubarb pie. But now I am not so sure what to do with it- so if anyone has ideas!

We are going to try it again next weekend- if a basket is offered and see what we get! To check it out here in Vegas go to http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ . You have a very small window of time to place your order and you also have to pick it up within a 20 minute period, but since it is all volunteers doing the work you can not expect them to wait around all day!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Yay! I'm so glad you guys tried it! We love it.

Lisa and Bill said...

I've heard about this program but have never given it a try. I'm glad someone I know has & loves it. I'll have to join u & get some good veggies & fruit. Love a great bargain too!

Lorina LeFevre said...

We really enjoyed it too!! I can't wait to see what we get next week. Thanks for picking ours up for us. :?)