Saturday, April 3, 2010

Egg-citing Times

Perhaps I am the only one that hates eggs. I try to like them, I really do. But I just can't get past my dislike. They are bearable when scrambled covered in ketchup, or as part of omelet loaded with cheese and ham. But by themselves, I just can't gag them down. The yolk is just so nasty! Runny or hard-boiled it's all inedible to me!
So why do I find such joy in dying Easter Eggs? Perhaps it is because with patience the eggs can become so colorful. Or maybe, its just the memories I have of hunting for egg's in Nana's yard and being fascinated with just how many eggs could be hidden in the ivy! I know it's definitely not the promise of being allowed to eat them after the hunt, so it could just be the process itself! Whatever it is, I love it. And I think most kids do too. I know these one's had a great time last night, although only the girls lasted through all 10 dozen eggs! (Yes, we boiled and dyed 10 dozen eggs!)

Lincoln did pretty well dying his eggs, I think he only managed to crack two of them in the process. But he wasn't very patient. He put them in the dye and took them right back out again. So his eggs never got very bright! Some still looked white! :) So generally, I would take the egg and but it back in the dye without him knowing!

Now, all we have to do is wait for Sunday to get here so the Easter Bunny can attempt to hide all 10 dozen out in the yard- I bet at least two dozen go in the ivy! But as for all the others, I think the bunny might have to get a little creative! :)
Here's just a sampling of the many different eggs the kids created!

No comments: