Friday, May 7, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

Okay, so if you have ever read my sister-in-law Ann's blog you know she celebrates her birthday by hosting a party that revolves around her favorite things. It has always intrigued me and I thought what better reason to steal her idea than my own birthday! :)

Here's the invitation I sent to a few of my favorite people
I really wanted to revolve the party around my favorite things, so for the food I made some of my favorite salads including BLT salad, Mexican chicken salad, Tri-color Pasta Salad, Vanilla Pudding Salad, & Grape Salad. I also had some of my favorite beverages including water and rootbeer. For entertainment we played a few games, including Sound of Music Trivia, Mad Libs, and Minute to Win it Games.
Since I didn't want the night to be just all about me, I asked everyone to bring one of their favorite things to share. I had everyone wrap them in brown paper bags when they arrived, so all the gifts were identical. Then we had a game to try and guess who might have brought the item in question. It was great to see what people brought, and so many of them were things I could have chosen as well. I guess that's why we are friends!! :)
Throughout the night I shared 33 of my favorite things with everyone, and here they are in no particular order! Liquid Laundry detergent, Sees Candy, DVR, Zabas, Travel, Iron-on Patches, Demotivators (seen at http://despair.com), Cream of Soups by Campbells, New Recipes, Deep Covered Baker/Crockpot/Rice Cooker, Crocs, Spell Check, Sam's Club/Costco, Digital Clocks, Camelback backpack, new socks, turkey, Matryshka Dolls, amazon.com, fruit leather, mint cookie ice cream by Ben & Jerry's, Shutterfly, Post-it Notes, Wendy's, Santa Maria Seasoning, baby wipes, mint m&m's, books, A&W Rootbeer, Potato Pearls, Musicals, Smiths Case Lot sales, everything Apple!
I also handed out prizes to those who won the games that of course was something off my favorite things list and everyone got to take home a "brown paper package wrapped up with string" as a thank you for coming to my party! I think it was a huge success and I am glad Ann let me in on a few of her secrets! I just hope everyone had as much fun as I did!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, Stace! I LOVE it!! I think I am totally going to steal the 'brown paper packages tied up with string' idea! And your invitations! Perfect! I'm so glad you guys had a good time!
I loved reading your favorites list because I learned some new things about you. I love mind cookie ice cream and mint M&M's too!
Good luck with your calling. I've gotta say--you ARE the perfect one for that calling. You'll be great!

Lorina LeFevre said...

I had so much fun at the party, I think everybody did. It was great learning what yours and everybody's favorite things are. I especially loved the Sound of Music trivia.