Friday, February 26, 2010

Petition to Change Nevada State Tree

Okay so if you don't know the current state tree of Nevada is the bristlecone pine. They grow in high elevations, generally right below the tree line. Because of cold temperatures, dry soils, high winds, and short growing seasons, the trees grow very slowly. Due to the harsh conditions they live in they are usually small and contorted. The wood is very dense and is thus resistant to attacks of bugs or fungi. Due to these factors they are not very plentiful, but are considered to be one of the oldest single living organisms, one has even been dated to be 4,789 years old! So yes, this sounds like a pretty cool tree. The problem is, no one ever sees one, there is not much first hand knowledge of this specimen with the citizens of Nevada.
My suggestion for a new tree is the well known, it can be seen every where, they seem to go up in seconds and are around for what seems like 4,000 years. They come in varying sizes and seem to multiply at a moments notice. They can be enjoyed by everyone throughout the city and probably the state for that matter, although my first hand knowledge is limited to Las Vegas. They are resilient and can rebound from direct hits quickly and are easily moved from location to location without any damage to the from itself. The colors are bright and generally hard to miss, unless of course they have been moved into inappropriate places. I think my choice of replacing the Bristlecone with the Traffic Cone is a good one and I hope you are all with me. Because it's the only thing that might make all this craziness around town, a little bit easier!

Okay, if you can't tell I'm completely annoyed with the amount of road construction in this town. Every time I turn around more cones have gone up. Now in general this would not bother me, but I never seem to see anyone working in this areas that have been closed off to traffic. If you are going to close it off, at least make it look like you are doing something.

3 comments:

Larissa said...

I like the idea! And I can't believe that giant birthday cake. I think Rachel will get the job of decorating again the next time! I always like seeing results of the amazing Lacouture talent!

Lorina LeFevre said...

You are living in downtown construction hell right now, no wonder your mind is wondering to state tree changes. Every time I drop Lincoln off, I say a little thank you, that they aren't doing all that construction in front of my house. But hopefully they are accomplishing something and it will be over soon.

Allison Juarez said...

AHAHAHAHAHAH!!! love it!